Solution to Fix File or Directory is Corrupt and Unreadable Error
Trying to access an external hard drive on Windows but getting File or directory is corrupt or unreadable error, is very annoying. This error indicates that your external hard drive is inaccessible and the files stored on it no longer accessible.
Causes for file or directory is corrupt and unreadable error-
- Ejecting external hard drive improperly
- FAT or MFT partition table corruption
- Virus infection or logical damage to external drive
Here are the methods to fix file or directory is corrupt and unreadable error and recover data from external hard drive-
Phase #1: Solution to Fix file or directory is corrupt and unreadable error
Fix #1: Format
If your external drive doesn’t hold any important file, then format it. Formatting helps to set up the new file system. For formatting your external HDD, select and right click on it. From the drop down menu, select Format button.
Fix #2: Use chkdsk command
You can fix file or directory is corrupt and unreadable error by using chkdsk command. To run chkdsk command on external drive, follow the steps mentioned below-
- Open Command Prompt and type chkdsk drivename: /f (replace drivename with the drive letter of external drive)
- Hit Enter. It finds and fixes errors on external drive
These methods help to fix file or directory is corrupt and unreadable error.
Phase #2- Recovering data from external HDD showing file or directory is corrupt and unreadable error
There are some situations in which you can’t either format or run chkdsk on the external drive. In such cases, use Hi5 Partition Recovery software to recover data from external hard drive showing file or directory is corrupt and unreadable error.
Complete Tutorial on How to Recover Data from External Drive-
- Download and install Hi5 Partition Recovery software on your computer
- Attach your external drive and launch the tool
- Select Partition Recovery option from the main screen
Note - If you were able to format the external drive to fix the issue, then select Formatted/ Reformatted Recovery option to recover erased data
- When software displays a list of drives, select the drive that represents external drive and hit Ok
- The tool scans and shows list of recovered files
- Select and save required files in any location
What else can Hi5 Partition recovery software do?
- Recovers data from corrupted, inaccessible and RAW partition
- Helps to restore data from FAT, NTFS, exFAT and HFS partition
- Enables data recovery from various popular brands of external hard drives, like WD, Buffalo, Sony, etc.
- Also, helps to restore data from Seagate GoFlex 1 TB, 2 TB, and other Seagate models
- Performs data recovery from memory card, pen drives, iPods, and other external drives
Make use of Hi5 Software PST File Repair to fix corrupt, brokeb, damaged PST File. It also fix damaged file from external device. click the link to know more about this tool.
Hi5 Software AVI File Repair will fix corrupt/broken or damaged AVI file. It also repairs XVID and DVIX files with great ease. Here after dont worry just download this software and try it.