How to Repair PowerPoint Error ‘can’t open this type of file’?
Getting “PowerPoint can’t open this type of file” error when tried to access PowerPoint file (PPT or PPTX)? Then try to open another copy of file. For instance, if you have extra copy of PowerPoint file on a hard disk on any external device, try to access it. Or, if the file was sent through e-mail message, ask sender to resend the file.
Cause for the error – “PowerPoint can’t open this type of file”
The problem may be a file-format issue, or it may be a file-corruption issue that needs a quick repair.
“PowerPoint can’t open this type of file”
PowerPoint 2007 and later versions doesn’t support opening a PPT or PPTX file that has been created using earlier versions. For instance, if the file is saved as a PowerPoint 2000/2002/2003 file, then PowerPoint 2007 unable to open the file and may throw error. So, to fix “PowerPoint can’t open this type of file” error, you’ll have to change the underlying format of the file. To do so, follow these below steps:
- Open the file in PowerPoint 2000/2002/2003
- Navigate to File > Save As (Don’t simply choose Save. Use Save As because the file format must be saved in different format)
- In Save as type box, choose Presentation (*.ppt). Then select Save
Now that the file is in .ppt format, you can access in PowerPoint 2007 and later versions.
If you still get error message, probably your PowerPoint have a file corruption problem. Follow below steps to repair “PowerPoint can’t open this type of file” using Hi5 PowerPoint File Repair Software
Steps to fix PowerPoint file
You can download the trial version of Hi5 PowerPoint File Repair Software that scans the device and fixes the given file and lets you to preview it before saving.
Step 1: Download Hi5 PowerPoint File Repair Software on your Computer/Laptop.
Step 2: Use "Browse" button to locate corrupted PowerPoint file (PPT, PPTX, PPS) and click on "Repair" option to start repair process.
Step 3: Software start repairing process.
Step 4: Once the PowerPoint file is repaired, you'll get the successful repaired message.
Step 5: Check repaired PowerPoint files using "Preview" option, then choose the destination folder to store repaired files on your desired location and save the file.
“If you are encountering with other errors like PPT can’t read outline with your presentation files, you can follow the same repair steps mentioned above to fix the issue.”
About the above said PowerPoint File Repair Tool
- Easily fixes corrupt or damaged PowerPoint files in no time
- It supports all formats of presentation files such as PPT, PPTX and PPS
- Simple interface incorporated in this tool helps any inexpert to repair PowerPoint file easily without any complications
- Tool can even recover all attributes of presentation slide such as text, animations, sound effects, images, hyperlinks, header and footer of the slide effectively
- Hi5 Software PowerPoint File Repair is one of the safest tools which does not alter contents of your original PowerPoint file but instead extracts data from it generating healthy file
- Offers easy way of fixing PPT files created on any version of Microsoft PowerPoint
- It provides preview of repaired PowerPoint files before saving it to a desired location
Supported Windows operating systems: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2012, 2008 and Windows Server 2003.
Supported PowerPoint versions: MS PowerPoint 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016.
- Always maintain a backup of important PowerPoint files on external storage devices
- Try to open PowerPoint PPT files in compatible Microsoft PowerPoint versions
Are you not able to access PowerPoint file of version 2013? Then immediately try Hi5 PowerPoint File Repair Tool and get the errors fixed in less time. It is simple and easy to use PowerPoint repair utility.
Have you lost your vital files from your system? Do you want to recover them? Then right now download and use efficient Hi5 Software File Recovery and retrieve entire files and folders back in minutes!