Recover Data from Uninitialized Disk Mac
Despite the numerous advantages external hard drives offer, they are not without its share of problems. A common error you may encounter is ‘Hard drive uninitialized’ in Disk Utility. This message is usually indicative of an underlying problem.
Here we provide some potential solutions for this error and also show you how to recover data from the drive which shows ‘Uninitialized’.
Run Disk Utility –
Before we go into extreme steps like formatting, it is a good idea to run First Aid on the drive. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Go to Finder > Applications > Utilities
- Select Disk Utility
- Choose your external hard drive from the list of available drives on the left
- Click First Aid > Run
- Wait till the process is complete and you receive a status report
If Disk Utility reports that the drive is Ok, your drive has been repaired. If it reports an error, troubleshoot it further to identify the issue.
If it reports ‘The underlying task reported failure’, Disk Utility could not repair the disk. In that case, try running disk utility again.
If after running Disk Utility multiple times, you are still unable to fix the error, there may be a serious issue. But before you format the drive as a next step, it is strongly advised that you backup data.
But in this case, if your drive shows ‘uninitialized’, it is likely that you won’t be able to access data on it. You will need professional data recovery tools for this purpose. Hi5 Software provides the best in class partition recovery tool to recover data from these drives.
About Hi5 Software:
The software uses a read only mechanism to extract contents and recover it for you. So, the original data will be untouched after recovery. All your volumes along with original directory structure and file names are recovered by the tool.
The software supports recovery of about 300 types of files – various formats of photos, documents, videos etc.
In addition to recovering data from uninitialized drives, you can also use the tool with corrupt, inaccessible and RAW drives. Also, it can be used to recover deleted volumes on Mac.
Compatibility of Hi5 Partition Recovery Software:
- Supports all Mac OS versions like El Capitan, Yosemite, Sierra etc.
- Supports all kinds of hard drives such as IDE, SATA, SCSI, SSD etc.
- All storage devices such as USB’s, internal hard drives, Fire Wire devices etc. are supported
Steps to recover data from uninitialized hard drive using Hi5 Software –
- Download and Install Hi5 Partition Recovery Software for Mac on your system
- Launch the tool. Then, from the main screen select "Volume Recovery" or "Formatted / Reformatted Recovery" option for recovering HFS partition data
- From the list of available volumes, choose the required partition and click on "Next" option
- The software starts the scanning process. After completion of scanning process, you can use "Preview" option to view recovered data
- Finally, in order to save recovered files, use the "Save" button to save data on a preferred location